Celebrating & Appreciating the Best of 2010
As 2011 settles in, we wanted to reflect on all the great things 2010 brought to Standing Stone Brewing, and appreciate everyone who helped make those things happen. Here’s our 2010 Top 10…
1. Larry Chase came on as master brewer and he’s taken our beer lineup to the next level. He’s tapped his creativity to craft a fabulous specialty beers, including Milk & Honey, Pilot Rock Pale Ale and Farmer Brown Ale, complementing our other excellent everyday offerings. This trend continues with Madrone Red kicking off 2011.
2. We launched “Brewer for the Day” (inspired by our experience with our first-rate intern, Acacia Baldner), which allows beer enthusiasts to work with Larry and brew a batch of beer. One participant wrote a blog and Larry caught two more in action. Check it out.
3. Lallemand awarded a Gold to our Hefeweizen and a Bronze to our Amber Ale in its “Brain of Brewers” contest, plus a cash prize that we invested in equipment to brew more amazing beer!
4. Ultra-local beef and eggs hit our menu thanks to a partnership with Valley View Farm. We purchase Valley View Beef and raise egg-laying chickens on the farm, just three miles away. Kudos to our kitchen team for mastering the art of butchering and to Melza for researching chicken breeds and rearing.
5. The City of Ashland approved our proposal to lease City land and start a farm to raise livestock, chickens and produce. Right now, we buy as much produce from local growers as we can, and thank them for their hard work and wonderful offerings.
6. We started an employee yoga program, inspired by employee and yoga instructor, Lindsey Holy, who developed the concept and teaches the sessions. Our employee bike commuting program turned one year old and keeps growing. Our team members make all the best things happen, and we keep looking for ways to appreciate them and give back.
7. Our well-received kegged wine program expanded with the debut of Misty Oaks Stuckagain Heights Pinot Noir. We enjoy looking for more wines to complement our lineup, delivering the best in quality and conservation.
Events & Community
8. We helped bring American Craft Beer Week to the Rogue Valley in May with events, tastings, a specialty beer, guest beers, food pairings and more. Look for events in 2011.
9. The first annual Siskiyou Challenge Relay was held, supporting Rogue Valley Farm to School, a favorite cause. Standing Stone was a lead sponsor and our team made a great showing. We also took part in annual favorites like the JPR Wine Tasting, Brews and Boogie, A Taste of Ashland, the Food & Wine Classic, the Mt Ashland Hillclimb Run and Car Free Day. We’ll be back!
10. We launched a blog and ramped up our facebook and twitter activity to engage more with our customers and community. Your support is the cornerstone of our success, and we want to make it easier to share news and get your feedback to keep doing better.
Thanks everyone! Here’s to another fabulous year!